Sunday, November 29, 2009

Giving Thanks Despite the Turkey

As most of the east coast woke up to start their turkey or begin their food preparations I was riding through the mountains of Romania. I had gone to Deva to pick up a package from my dear sweet friends and was feeling very loved and thankful for the wonderful people the Lord has placed in my life. Tata Vasille was driving and I was enjoying the gorgeous mountains and the sun peeking out over them. We had to stop... apparently this stop was to try and locate Petre's(one of the children at the Casa De Copii) mom or existing family. We stopped some place in Hunedoara and talked to a lady and her children who were playing in the street. They gave us directions to go to the gypsy village outside of Hunedoara.



We ventured on and came up to the Gypsy village I remember seeing on Sept. 29th my very first day here in Romania. The large houses brightly painted with the elaborate roofs made of metal. To my surprise we parked the car and they asked me (in romanian of course) if I'd like to go with them. I figured why not? So I grabed my coat and scarf and we headed across the street.


Here is a picture of the gypsy house we parked at which I took back in September. Notice it's elaborate design... yet the building to the left is not so nice. It's a little store. So we walked across the street and asked a man where we could find the woman we were looking for and he pointed up... up the mountain that is. We began hiking up the mountain and the path was muddy and full of trash. Quickly the huge gypsy houses turned into tiny dilapidated houses. We stoped yet again to ask for more directions and this time a specific house was pointed out. It was at the very top of course. As we got closer Tata Vasille grabed a stick to ward off the stray dogs wandering around. We got to the house and opened the gate to find 2 small children and a woman chopping wood.
Dilapidated doesn't begin to describe this house's condition. Windows no longer had their panes instead they were covered by strips of cloth. The floors were made of dirt and there were 3 "rooms" 2 full of trash and clothes and the third with 2 beds and more trash and clothes. It smelled awful yet the children didn't seem to mind. Remember- I had my coat on and my scarf... because it was cold. These children were wearing sandals... which I guess was better than nothing. There was no doubt this was Petre's mom! He favored her immensely.
See Petre has been at the Casa De Copii for 10 years. His mother has not tried even once to make contact with him since he arrived here in Lupeni. The orphanage even wrote to her and still no reply. He wants to reconnect with her and spend time with her over the holidays. Petre has been misbehaving here and I think that it would be good for him to see where he could be verses where he is. My heart just breaks for the 2 little ones still living in those conditions. The more I am here the more I want to be here. As we left Mama Cheta emptied her pockets and gave the woman all the money she had. I assure you Mama Cheta doesn't have much money either. As we walked back down the mountain an overwhelming realization of the many things I have to be thankful for hit me. Even in the poorest city in Florida... their homes are nicer than that one was.
Please pray for Petre as he is faced with decisions about his future. Also that he would understand there are people who love him here in Lupeni and more importantly he has a heavenly Father who loves him more than he could ever imagine.
One more thing- try and realize how blessed you are even in the toughest of circumstances.
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Jesus Christ" 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

1 comments:

paul said...

Aoleu, casutza asta de minoritar m-a dat pe spate...