Saturday, December 5, 2009

Today I Fell In Love!

This morning I woke up and went to Petrosani. I expected to get to Colonie (a poorer neighborhood) walk to the Center and then listen in on the English club and get a feel for how things are done. Instead I arrived and was informed the teacher was sick and that I was suppose to run things... ok? Well at least I was told in English!


I had no lessons prepared... I had no knowledge of what these kids had been taught. I stood up in front of them and greeted them and the next hour flew by! I loved it... I fell in love with it. We played "I spy" with colors in English, we learned the alphabet, we counted to 10, we spelled our names, played games and learned animal names and then time was up! The kids were precious. The youngest was around 5 years old and I'm guessing the oldest was around 11? As they left they said goodbye to me in English which was sweet. One boy said, "Goodbye teacher" which made me smile. I can't wait till next Saturday... this time I will come prepared!!

This is Colonie- it's a poorer neighborhood in Petrosani. The center where the club is held is in this neighborhood. The center is not technically a Christian center but they do offer Bible classes and it is led by some Christians. I am so excited to be able to help them!

I left Petrosani and headed back to Lupeni. My friend Dea had planned for her choir from Timisoara to come down and spend the weekend here in Lupeni and to sing a concert for the Baptist church here. I was excited to get to meet her friends and be able to talk with them considering they are University students and most of them know English. I arrived in Lupeni ate lunch, met her friends and headed up the mountain.

We took the ski lift and I had no idea how far up the mountain we were actually going!!! Let's just say it was a LONG way. Well we explored the top of the mountain... found a neat church that had a tunnel leading up to it. In the tunnel the choir stopped and sang a few songs which was nice. The funny thing is- is as soon as we walked in the tunnel I thought "oh wow, these are great acoustics I'd love to sing in here". We couldn't see much which was a bummer because the fog was so intense.
So this is when the story gets interesting. The ski lift stops at 3:30. I thought, "oh no problem"... problem. Everyone else decided to walk down the mountain. Who said walking downhill is easier than walking uphill? So walking uphill maybe harder on the lungs... but walking downhill requires every (and I mean EVERY) muscle from the waist down to be used. Not only that but the rocks were shifty and the mud was slippery. Let's just say it took me an 1hour and 45 minutes to get down that darn mountain. It was actually an enjoyable hike... I just wish I had been dressed for one. At least I've exercised enough for the entire month of December!

Oh one more thing... here are a few pictures of the kids from this week! I know some of you may not have a facebook so I want to make sure you can see some pictures too!
I painted Tina's nails!

Alaina's new hair cut! It's super cute on her!Delia's nails! She picked Orange.... :)Mario knows he is cute! I mean you can't disagree though! David made a guitar out of Legos! He gave me and a baby doll a concert!

0 comments: