Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December- where have you gone?

Ok well it's universal... the month of December FLIES by everywhere! I mean where has it gone? So far in the month of December I have seen the following: Santa, a group of school children bring gifts to the kids of Casa de Copii, snow and lots of it, ice which I'm not a fan of and lots of Christmas caroling in Romanian.

One thing I am most excited about this Christmas is having guests! Two of my friends, Elijah and Shawn, are missionaries in Ukraine and they are coming down to spend Christmas with me! Also another "friend", Jenn, who I've actually never met before but feel like I already know (she is a friend of a friend) may come down for Christmas or after it I'm not sure yet. She is in the Peace Corps here in Romania. It's very exciting! So the thing that I'm most concerned with is what to feed these people. See- call me lazy but if I have to walk to the store in the snow just to buy food that I then have to prepare and cook... well I'll just drink more water and eat a piece of fruit! I know that two men do not have the same idea (nor do I expect them to) so I'm going to have to actually cook. Really I don't mind when it's for more than just me... I'm just concerned with my culinary skills! I'll let ya'll know how that works out!

Slight change in subject: So Pinti is the 20 year old orphan who helps take care of the little ones. He is studying to become a carpenter and he speaks really great English! We converse often. He is also an artist... and a good one at that. Pinti has not stepped foot in a church since his dad left him. That was 10 years ago! We've talked about church and God on a surface level before and I've encouraged him to come but he is always kindly opposed to coming for no particular reason (at least not one that he has disclosed to me). I've also been weary about pushing the subject too much and getting too personal because he is 20 and a guy and I feel like it's more of a guy's place to befriend him on such a level... which brings me back to the previous paragraph! (See why it's a slight change in subject). So I am hoping Elijah and Shawn can befriend him as well! See it just so happens that Pinti is staying at the orphanage (the other kids are going to be with relatives or families in the church) for Christmas AND Elijah and Shawn staying there are too! Please pray for Pinti's heart so be soft and ready for seeds of truth to be planted.

I'm excited about Christmas, but I also know that it could be difficult seeing as it's my first Christmas away from home. Please pray for me and my family during the next couple of days! It is so neat to see how God has orchestrated these people to enter my life and become my friends. I'm not going to be alone on Christmas... I will have English speaking people to laugh with... and fellow Christians to share the joy of Jesus' birth with!

Much love-

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I truly enjoy your reading your blogs. My only question is this; did you really meet THE Santa or was he just someone dressed up as Santa?

Elizabeth Dew said...

Thank you! Ok, so it was someone dressed up as Santa... but he did a fabulous job! The kids absolutely loved it! :)