Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sunshine and Dirt

This morning I woke up feeling great and super excited to see the sun pouring in my window! It has been a while since I have seen the sun. Quickly I noticed all the dust and particles in the air and I was annoyed. I thought, "It wasn't this dusty yesterday!? What happened... how did it get so dirty in here?" and then I realized that the light pointed out all the filth that filled my room.

Isn't that the truth? We get annoyed so easily with the Light in our lives. The Lord points out the things in out hearts that are filthy and dirty. It's easier to live life not acknowledging their existence but what kind of life is that? The gospel is offensive... it points out the things in our hearts that we aren't proud of. "Jesus is the light of the world" is such a commonly used phrase and many people associate light with joy and neglect the responsibility it puts on us. We have to clean. We have to strive daily to purify our hearts not to gain salvation but to show our love for our savior! To show love to others.

In Matthew 5:14-15 we are told "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house." That's a tough job. Not only am I called to be bold and share this knowledge with everyone... I'm suppose to be the light... but the light reveals the filth.

Until we see our filthy and dirty hearts in the Light of Jesus Christ we won't see a need for a savior.

My friend James Barnett wrote, "I’m not so sure our symphony is a popular one. It won’t end up on the billboard top ten and it won’t be played on a stage in Central Park. It will be a lullaby sung within the hearts of the poor. It will be cried out by those who hunger and thirst for what is right. No, it may not be a popular song, but it will be a good one."

1 comments:

daylilylane said...

I love it when the Lord shows us such a great illustration with the things around us in every day life. I believe it's in that way that "eternity is hidden in 'their' hearts." Love you, girl!