Monday, November 2, 2009

Cemetery Strolls

Well Halloween came and passed... I didn't see a single vampire here in Transylvania.

Let's see this weekend I went to Petrosani (it's becoming a habit... a good one though) and I got there on Saturday afternoon. We didn't do anything too exciting but it was nice to be in good company.

Sunday morning I woke up and made everyone pancakes or pan-uh-cakes (that's what I called them). We didn't have syrup, another luxury of America I guess, so we used honey and homemade jam. Everyone seemed to enjoy them! Then we all went to church.

Church was really neat because we were celebrating an engagement! The bride is from Romania and the groom is from India. They had a special speaker as well and he was from Holland! The common language used between all these different nationalities is English- praise God! So I was able to understand the entire sermon... which was such a nice change. I enjoyed the emphasis the church put on their engagement and how it was more about the body of Christ and Christ love rather than the couple and the couple's love.

After church Nelson and I decided to walk home. Being that it was November 1st (the day of the dead) Nelson wanted me to see the cemeteries full of people visiting their deceased loved ones. The first cemetery we went to was huge; it went all the way up the side of this mountain! There were a ton of people... mostly gypsies.
Nelson told me it was a pagan holiday where they celebrate the dead and eat and drink for them... I guess in their honor. The demographic there was so different. Most of the people were very poor and unkempt and some were trying to sell us candles to light for the dead. There was one guy who told us he had 4 kids... he was 17 years old.

Ok, enough. We sat down on a bench and enjoyed the GORGEOUS view. I mean rolling hills, mountains with snow, horses, little houses with chimneys and smoke coming out. It was/is beautiful. We continued to another cemetery where Nelson's grandma is buried. It was not nearly as crowded, but it was nice to go there and it made me miss my Papa.

We headed back home to get some hot soup to warm us up... but first we stopped and got hair dye. Nelson tried to get me to dye my hair purple but I told him my mother would kill me! haha... I went with red instead.

That night we stopped by the cemetery to see all the candles glowing. It was really neat and kind of creepy but definitely freezing... we didn't stay long.

Today (Monday) I went to the Orange store, kind of like an alltel or sprint, and got wireless internet! YAY. It only took 4 hours!! Apparently my windows vista is too advanced for their program, whatever it works now! I went to the orphanage and played twister with Sebe and David and also got my computer out for the kids! What a treat?! We played with the camera- taking silly pictures and making videos. Delia even made her own laptop! She climbed into my lap and put her laptop right in front of mine. She is doing so well and behaving much better. Thank you for the prayers!

Many blessings and much love-
I hope these pictures make you laugh as much as me! :)

0 comments: