Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mistakes are fun and exciting?

Monday morning I woke up in Petrosani and had a lovely breakfast with Christi and Nelson. I decided I would go to the shoe store before I caught the bus back to Lupeni. I went to the shoe store and found out I have huge feet and everyone here as tiny little feet... maybe I should stay here! I would probably save a ton of money! ;)

As I was leaving the store I realized the bus was approaching the stop! I hurried my pace in order to catch the bus. I quickly got on thinking to myself, "what perfect timing!". I took my seat and was proud of myself for being so independent! As we rounded the corner we veared to the left... which was not the way home. It occured to me I never read the sign... you know the sign that tells you which bus you are getting on! Ahhh... frustrated with myself I thought of all the options I had. Then I realized the last 2 people other than me were getting off. I quickly went to the driver and tried my best to explain that I needed to go to Lupeni. He of course spoke no english but he was kind. He took me off his route and stopped and pointed me in the right direction. I thanked him profusely! I started on my walk to where he had pointed. I stood there under the bus sign thinking, "I feel like I should be on the other side of the street... but this is where he pointed..." right then someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was the driver- he had parked his bus and walked to me! He informed me I was on the wrong side of the road! He lead me to the other side of the street and walked me to a woman. He also informed her that I was American and that I can't speak romanian then he asked her where she was going... and to please make sure I got to Lupeni.

We boarded the correct bus, which was so packed I had to stand, then she informed everyone that I needed to go to Lupeni... and that I only speak english. Everyone was looking at me... but not in a annoyed bad way... more of a curious kind way! When some people got off at their stop a lady offered me the seat next to her. She was sweet and she didn't speak any english but she did manage to say "America" and "California"! I smiled at her and she smiled back.

I got off at my stop and walked home with a big grin spread across my face.

It was such a wonderful experience... and I was overwhelmed with thankfulness for the kindness and helpfulness the people showed me. It could have easily become a frustrating case of the "Mondays" but instead it was exciting and reassuring of God's love and provision in my life.

0 comments: