Monday, February 1, 2010

The Reality of Winter

The excitement of receiving my Christmas package from my best friend Whitney quickly faded as I walked out the doors of Casa de Copii and was greeted by a mom with her 4 snotty nosed adorable children standing out in the cold hoping for assistance. As I stood there trying to communicate with her I looked down to see what I could give these people. Holding my package I felt rather frivolous and helpless. CDs? Printed tights? DVD? Lip gloss? No... what they wanted was warm clothes and bread. I had nothing to give and what I wanted to give I couldn't verbalize. I told her at my house I have oranges... seriously that's about it. She and the 4 kids followed me home and I ran quickly up stairs to grab as many things I could that I felt like she could possibly need. All I could gather was milk, oranges, a scarf, gloves and chocolate for the kids. I grabbed my Romanian New Testament in hopes that she would read it... or at least know in who's name I was helping them. I came back down and gave all the kids hugs and told them "Jesus loves you" one of the few Romanian phrases I know.

Many people here strongly dislike the gypsy (Roma) people. I'm not saying there isn't truth behind people's allegations towards these people. But I don't think Jesus Christ ever said "take care of the orphans and widows because they are good people and they need help". No, nor did He say, "help the poor, but only the ones who deserve it". None of us deserve anything we are given. It is only by the grace of God we have life and breath.

Please pray for those children, they are precious and cold. I wish I could do more... but for now I can't. Pray the Lord gives me more opportunities to help and serve His people. Much Love.

1 comments:

Allison Drew said...

My heart just breaks. We should chat soon. Oh, and I got an oovoo! allisondrew... but I need to get a new webcam.